Dr. Clark R. Alexander, Jr.
Skidaway Institute of Oceanography
10 Ocean Science Circle
Savannah, Georgia 31411
Telephone: (912) 598-2329
Fax: (912) 598-2310
Faculty, Marine Sciences Franklin College
Director, Applied Coastal Research Laboratory , Georgia Southern University
B.A. Humboldt State University, Geology 1983
B.S. Humboldt State University, Oceanography 1983
M.S. North Carolina State University, Marine Geology 1985
Ph.D. North Carolina State University, Marine Sedimentology 1990
| Research Interests and Projects |
Sedimentary processes on continental margins, processes of stratigraphic sequence formation, coastal and barrier island geology, rates and processes of shoreline change, Quaternary sea level history, barrier island formation and stratigraphy, anthropogenic impacts on the coastal zone, biological modification of the sedimentary record, benthic habitat assessment.
- Geospatial Sand Resource Assessment for Georgia Coastal Recovery and Resiliency. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management.
- Improving Habitat Classification, Hazard Mitigation and Navigation in Coastal Georgia with a State-of-the-Art Bathymetric Sonar System – Phase II. GA Coastal Management Program.
- Remote Bathymetric Measurements with NCAM. Los Alamos National Laboratory/DOE.
- Geospatial Characterization Studies for Advancing Estuarine Restoration and Management in Georgia. EPA/GA Department of Natural Resources.
- High-Resolution Mapping of Vegetation, Elevation, Salinity and Bathymetry to Advance Coastal Habitat Management in Georgia. GA Coastal Management Program.
- Coastal sustainability: A cross-site comparison of salt marsh persistence in response to sea-level rise and feedbacks from social adaptations. NSF.
- Georgia Coastal Ecosystem – Long Term Ecosystem Research. NSF.
- Synthesis of High and Low Marsh Habitat Mapping, Vulnerability and Responses to Sea-Level Rise in the South Atlantic Region. South Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative.
- Coastal Geology and Coastal Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Introduction to Coastal Oceanography, Savannah State University.
- Pre-service teachers Science Practicum, Armstrong Atlantic State University.
- Natural History and Environmental Management of the Georgia Coast, Georgia Southern University.
- Summer Field Course in Oceanography, Skidaway Institute of Oceanography.
Hunter, E. A., N. P. Nibbelink, C. R. Alexander, K. Barrett, L. F. Mengak, R. K. Guy, C. T. Moore, and R. J. Cooper. 2015. Coastal vertebrate exposure to predicted habitat changes due to sea level rise. Environmental Management 56(6): 1528-1537. doi: 10.1007/s00267-015-0580-3
Rachal, D. M., G. S. Okin, C. R. Alexander, J. E. Herrick, and D. P. C. Peters. 2015. Modifying landscape connectivity by reducing wind driven sediment redistribution, Northern Chihuahuan Desert, USA. Aeolian Research 17:129-137. doi: 10.1016/j.aeolia.2015.03.003
Turck, J. A., and C. R. Alexander. 2013. Coastal landscapes and their relationship to human settlement on the Georgia coast. In Life among the tides: Recent archaeology on the Georgia Bight. Anthropological Papers of the American Museum of Natural History, Number 98, ed. V. D. Thompson and D. H. Thomas, 169-190. New York: American Museum of Natural History. doi: 10.5531/sp.anth.0098
Jackson, Jr., C. W., C. R. Alexander, and D. W. Bush. 2012. Application of the AMBUR R package for spatio-temporal analysis of shoreline change: Jekyll Island, Georgia, USA. Computers and Geosciences 41: 199-207. doi: 10.1016/j.cageo.2011.08.009
Alexander, C. R., J. P. Walsh, and A. R. Orpin. 2010. Modern sediment dispersal and accumulation on the outer Poverty continental margin. Marine Geology 270:213-226. doi: 10.1016/j.margeo.2009.10.015
Robinson, M. H., C. R. Alexander, C. W. Jackson, C. P. McCabe, and D. Crass. 2010. Threatened archaeological, historic, and cultural resources of the Georgia coast: identification, prioritization and management using GIS technology. Geoarchaeology: An International Journal 25(3): 312-326. doi:10.1002/gea.20309
Alexander, C., and H. Lee. 2009. Sediment accumulation on the Southern California Bight continental margin during the twentieth century. In Special Paper 454, Earth science in the urban ocean: The Southern California Continental Borderland, ed. H. Loe, and B. Normark, 69-88. Boulder Colorado: Geological Society of America, Inc.
Alexander, C., and A. Simoneau. 1999. Spatial variability in sedimentary processes on the Eel continental slope. Marine Geology 154:243-254.
Alexander, C., and H. Windom. 1999. Quantification of natural backgrounds and anthropogenic contaminants in a pristine Arctic environment: The Anadyr River Basin, Chukotka Peninsula, Russia. Marine Pollution Bulletin 38:276-284.
Alexander, C. R., C. A. Nittrouer, and D. J. DeMaster. 1991. Sediment accumulation in a modern epicontinental shelf setting: The Yellow Sea. Marine Geology 98 (1): 51-72.
Full Publication List